Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Oldies, but Goodies,
and other treasures


vintage thingies thursday













Suzanne at Colorado Lady


My post today is on my vintage thrifty finds,
and a bit of other treasures.

For those of you who are used to seeing my $1.00 boxes of goodies,
this will come as quite a shock!
I actually paid $5.00 for this little pile of treasures.

included were:
a small purse for girls dress up
a pile of sewing 'stuff'
tatted and crocheted pieces,
3 hankies
a 'witch' (have not figured out what that is yet.)
3 old books, I mean very old!!
(More about that in a bit)
And two old, very old, staplers.
(those and old books my fave parts.) =0))



This is one of the old books.
It is a lovely old hymnal.

There is no date in it.
Look at the beautiful way they have done the pages.
How just an edging instead of straight lines adds to it's beauty.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And see that little brown leather book in the top photo?
It is "In Memoriam".
A collection of poems by Tennyson
dated 1849
It is in most wonderful condition.
Both books seem to have almost not been used at all.

This is inside the front cover.



and the
next page...



and the poems.
There are 136 pages of beautiful rhyme in this book.

I'm looking both of these up on
the Internet to see if i can find their value.

(FYI- I found the Tennyson Book online.)
Value- listed at $58.00!!!!!!
I'm smilin' =0))))))


OK, here is an old 'what is it"
Give me some feedback on this and I'll see if what i think is right.
FYI should have told you it has holes in bottom.
Good guesses, but no 'winners' yet. =0))


Last, but not least,
A BIG old cart.
This thing is H E A V Y!!




OK. That's it for today.
Hope you are all having a wonderful week!!

Blessings,

barbara jean

25 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Barb,

I know I know...its a high jump for fairies...okay really now..my guess would be a pie carrier??? or possible a fruit basket for use in an orchard???
Hope someone has the answer.

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

oooohh i LOVE the book of poems by Tennyson, what a treasure!!

Barbara said...

Barbara Jean, I have no earthly idea what that thing is! I do love the old books, they are wonderful.

I will waiting for answer as to what that thing is.

Come see me.

Barbara

Jane said...

The graphics in that second book you pictured are beautiful. Great buys....I love vintage items so those are things we would have been fighting over :)

Denise Marie said...

wow, $5 box of treasures. I love poetry books. You gotta print out on olden looking paper one of the poems and put it in 1 of those vintagy frames. Maybe you could even color cc the page for $1 to do it. I think the big pot would be cool to take for camp fire smores. It looks like the feet helped it let the ashes fall to a safe fireplace floor back in the day of huge fireplace pits.

Old Time Cindy said...

Barbara Jean,
My fave out of your finds is that book of poems. The pictures within the pages are beautiful.
Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Postcardy said...

The "what is it" looks like something fro heating charcoal.

Kathi Fly said...

What an interesting mix of treasures! Love the old books. Your round basket looks like something to put hot coals in while you're cleaning out the fireplace???

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

You got a great deal I think!

Love the books...hope they are worth something...very exciting!

sorry, can't help you on your mystery piece...but I like it!

Kristine

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi Barbara,

Looks like you found some neat stuff. I just love old books. The pictures in them are great!

Debbie

Candace said...

Your Tennyson book is a real find! I love the round carrier - I'm thinking hot coals or possibly a fireplace insert of some type.
Cheers!

Keetha Broyles said...

The illustrations in the Tennyson book are simply marvelous!

Jocelyn said...

Neat finds. Love the books. I've just posted about my vintage books yesterday here -

http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

CC said...

You found some great treasures. I would love the crocheted pieces and the hankies best. And..., I haven't a clue what the "pot" with the holes is for. I think maybe it might be the inside of the pot use for boiling canning jars. Perhaps used in someway for canning.
Happy VTT..have a most lovely weekend.

j said...

Oh the BOOKS. I am drooling over here. I love... LOVE... old books.

Great finds all!

Vicki said...

Hello, Barbara,
Those books were quite a find! Good job. Aren't the illustrations beautiful, too. I am not sure what the mystery item is. Could it be for rinsing clothes or dying materials? I will be looking forward to find out. Have a great day. Vicki

ClassyChassy said...

Is it a planter??? Hmmmm. Neat looking, though!

Coloradolady said...

I don't know about the "what is it" I would use it for a planter, and by the way, that little book is beautiful. Have a great VTT!

Joan@anythinsggoeshere said...

Love the cart! They don't sell anything that useful or strong anymore. Great find!

Lisa said...

WOW! Big spender this week! I love it all! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Lisa

Embellished Bayou said...

What a great pile of stuff! Hope you find out what that "thing" is!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Barbara Jean,
What great treasure your found. I loev the poetry book as well as the hymnals! The mystery item..my guess is perhaps something that went into a well, long ago, where folks would put their items for cooling in that. Dropin the well and pull up when needed. Cool, and water drains from it? Just a guess. Probabaly far from the truth. I think I may have read to many Box Car Children books as a kid. Smile.
What great thrifty treasures you have shared today! Thanks for linking up, my friend!
Hugs!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
lbratina.blogspot.com

Miri said...

Beautiful books!

What a great treasure trove you found!

My guess on the "what is it"-a brazier-you put coals in the bottom.

Ally's Corner said...

Love love the old hymnal!!!

Ally

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Pop Quiz? Now I know what my students feel like !!!
Anyways, I think it might be for making chestnuts over the fire.
Evelyn in Montreal